Homework has been proven to enhance student learning, improve achievement and requires students to exhibit self-discipline and self-motivation. It develops students' study skills and as such is an integral part of the process of education at Bingley Grammar School.
The school uses Show My Homework (an online homework calendar) to set, record and in some cases assess homework. The system gives a clear picture, allowing work to be prioritised and organised using a personalised calendar. It also has a to-do list feature and sends email reminders.
All parents/carers and students have been provided with log on details and are expected to check this frequently to ensure all homework tasks are completed.
Please click here to go to the Show My Homework website >>
Tasks which could be set as homework include:
|Consolidation of work in class
|Practice - learning by doing
|Completion of course work assignments
The Role of the Pupil
- To listen to homework instructions in class.
- Where instructed, to copy down instructions for the task and deadline date into the school PLANNER.
- To regularly check Show My Homework
- To ensure that homework is completed and handed in to meet the deadline.
- To attempt all work and give their best.
- To inform the class teacher of any difficulties.
The Role of the Class Teacher
The class teacher controls the direction of homework and the nature of tasks undertaken. The teacher will:
- Set homework according to the timetable.
- Provide the stimulus.
- Give full and comprehensive instructions.
- Set deadlines for completed work and ensure that they are met.
- Mark and return all homework promptly.
- Provide help and support.
- Inform the Faculty Head and Curriculum Leader, Tutor and Head of House when problems arise.
The Role of the Parent/Carer
The role of the parent is crucial if a child is to gain success from homework. To reinforce its value through positive feedback will give students the confidence to persevere, work hard and reach high standards of achievement. Parents can assist by:
- Providing a table, chair and a quiet place to work.
- Keeping a regular eye on Show My Homework
- Negotiating with the student when homework is to be done as a student's free time is important too.
- Checking the time spent on individual tasks.
- Checking presentation and content of all homework being returned to school.
- Signing the homework section of the school planner each week.
- Providing the school with information about any problems through the homework section of the school planner or by contacting the school directly.
Where students fail to complete homework faculties will allocate an appropriate sanction.