The study of English is essential in terms of helping individuals develop understanding and communicate successfully with the world.
Beginning in Year 10, students will study for two qualifications: AQA GCSE English Language and AQA GCSE English Literature.
The AQA English Language course engages students in creative texts and inspires them to write creatively themselves. Students also explore how writers have particular viewpoints and perspectives on issues or themes that are important to the way we think and live our lives and will produce their own written texts in response to this.
The AQA English Literature course encourages students to develop knowledge and skills in reading, writing and critical thinking. Through a study of set texts, students have a chance to develop culturally and acquire knowledge of the best that has been thought and written. Students at BGS will study Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, the 'Power and Conflict' anthology of poetry, and unseen poetry.
The Department runs subject-specific enrichment clubs and organises a range of educational events throughout the year such as World Book Day and a variety of Author visits. Pupils are able to take part in school-wide competitions, as well as local and national competitions designed to increase their engagement and enhance their subject knowledge.
In GCSE and A Level exam years revision sessions are offered to consolidate learning.
Formative internal assessments take place throughout each scheme of work to monitor pupil progress. Formal assessments are completed, using GSCE mark schemes every term. These including mock exam weeks. This information is then used to inform further teaching and learning, intervention, and reported to parents and carers.
KS4 Exam Board Specifications:
- Topic 1 - Modern novel: Private Peaceful or The Book Thief
- Topic 2 - Imaginative Writing
- Topic 3 - Shakespeare: The Tempest or Hamlet
- Topic 4 - Non-Fiction Reading and Writing
- Topic 1 - Classic text
- Topic 2 - Non-Fiction Reading and Writing
- Topic 3 - Modern play
- Topic 4 - Poetry from different cultures
- Topic 1 - A Monster Calls or Of Mice and Men
- Topic 2 - Comparative Poetry
- Topic 3 - Romeo and Juliet
- Topic 4 - Spoken Language
AQA Paper 1 skills:
- Creative Writing (‘People and Places’)
- Reading Fiction (Short Stories)
AQA Paper 2 skills:
- Non-Fiction Reading and Writing (‘Contentious Issues)
- Speaking and Listening Endorsement
- A Christmas Carol
- Conflict Poetry
KS4 Knowledge Organisers
- AQA Paper 1 skills – Creative Writing and Reading Fiction
- AQA Paper 2 skills – Non-Fiction Reading and Writing
- Exam skills and preparation
- Power Poetry
- An Inspector Calls
- Unseen Poetry
KS4 Knowledge Organisers