Performance Group Promote Road Safety to Year 7
This morning our Year 7 students were treated to a performance by the drama group Performance in Education. The group focussed on pedestrian safety and raising awareness of the risks whilst crossing roads.
After the performance the group opened up a discussion about how we can all protect ourselves as pedestrians by acknowledging the risks involved when crossing roads.
Our students were extremely receptive to the performance and the discussion; as a group they realised their behaviours needed to change to keep themselves and their friends safe.
The groups Learning Objectives were:
- Raise awareness of the risks when using the road system as a pedestrian, especially when on ‘automatic pilot’ travelling a route they often take e.g. to school.
- Identify and challenge distractions to pedestrian safety such as phones, mp3 players and messing around with friends
- Create real life strategies to overcome peer pressure / peer influence around poor road safety.
- Encourage the use of school crossing patrols and pedestrian crossings - to ask for help when it’s needed.
- Increase the student’s knowledge of how to remain safe when using the roads and have the confidence to continue using this information.